The Oporto Cricket & Lawn Tennis Club was originally formed in 1855, the grounds at that time being situated at Candal in Vila Nova de Gaia.
The names of many of the founding members such as Sandeman, Reid, Tait, Cassels, Sellers, Dow, Warre and Fladgate, are still well recognized today either through their descendants who continue to live in Portugal, or because of the heritage they bequeathed in the form of their business activities.
The land in the Campo Alegre where the Club now stands was acquired in 1923. Meanwhile the Oporto British Club, a town club established in 1909 was flourishing in splendid premises in the centre of the city.
In 1967 rationality prevailed and the two clubs amalgamated, the proceeds from the sale of the premises of the Oporto British Club being used to finance the new clubhouse offering a wider range of facilities.
Since that time there have been a number of additions and improvements to cater for the needs of an increasing membership, of local, overseas and country members. Although the club is predominantly British, membership also extends to many Portuguese and non-British nationals.